Thursday, February 15, 2007

Chef in-the-making...

God really has his own way of getting people like doing stuff they wouldn’t prefer doing on a normal day. Mom got operated exactly a fortnight ago. Since the operation involved an incision on her right wrist, her right arm was bandaged with strict instructions of resting her arm for atleast a month.

I did spend a couple of sleepless nights figuring out as to who is gonna do the cooking (the rest of the household chores could be shared equally between Dad and me).Thank God, granny was around to initiate me into the kitchen. For someone who could barely make sippable coffee (the colour of the concoction itself, made by yours truly, used to put people off so much that I was very sweetly told not to be seen near the gas stove :D), preparing a proper four-course meal has been quite a journey and to top it all I’ve loved every bit of it.


I absolutely love the way my chappatis turn into a nice circle before I toss it onto the pan, and when they start swelling up (as they should) my spirits soar along with them. I kinda get the same kind of elation as a potter would, when he sees a mound of clay proudly whirring into a beautiful pot on his wheel. All this after many days of producing rotis the shape of the map of India or Asia or many a times North America, made of rock hard dough, as soft as the toughest piece of leather. No one complained (to top it all , Dad even praised the “hard work” behind making it).Then Science came to rescue-Putting more water in the dough will result in fluffy rotis and rotating the belan with the right amount of pressure at one place while flattening the dough gives u nice round rotis.

I now love experimenting with the different varieties of masalas and other condiments, different varieties of oils and sauces. It really amazed me as to how just by altering the quantities of any of these wonderful raw materials we can churn up a new variety of a traditional curry. But the best part of it is, no one gets judgmental and snappy when I goof up- the plus points of being a late and unlikely beginner.

I still remember the tiffs I used to have with Mom when she wanted to watch Khana Khazana , and I would get all worked up and sulky and would hear none of her pleas. Now, I kinda linger on when a cookery-show comes my way while surfing channels on the television. The result being – I can rustle up a neat Italian omelette called frittata whenever I feel like having something out of the ordinary.

Now, I`m really hooked onto my time in the kitchen at the stove,or at the oven or at the mixie and the joy gets doubled when I see Dad,Mom or Granny lapping up my indigenous creations.I just wish I had some more time ,what with internship and GD preparation taking up most of it, to indulge in this new-found indulgence.

People say ‘The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach’; why keep the ladies out of it, I’d say the way to anyone’s heart is through his/her stomach. Not convinced? Just step into the kitchen and find out for yourself.

17 Comments:

Blogger shilp said...

hello...
so shud I call u the "Roti queen" or "Mistress Of Spices" now....
"frittatas" and what nots..!!
way to go ma'm..getting quite domesticated....
so ,now I know..never to have a cup of coffee made by you but other things that u'll hopefully add to your cooking arsenal

2:14 AM  
Blogger shilp said...

Bawarchi kahin ki...lol

2:16 AM  
Blogger Saanjh said...

okee babes...after ur hostel-food sojourn u`ll lap up nethin i concoct.just come over !!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Gammafunction said...

this is undoubtedly your best post!I love it! best of luck for the GD/PI.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Saanjh said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Saanjh said...

hey thanks gammafunction...ur comment has really come as a surprise.expected this post to be panned by u :)

10:58 AM  
Blogger Gammafunction said...

no it has got a great flow to it,a great ending....and you are talking about food when I am under strict diet restrictions :-(

why did you think I would pan it?

11:02 AM  
Blogger Saanjh said...

uh oh..diet restrctions notwithstanding im doubly sure ur gonna jump onto a foodie`s-trail once the food-quarantine period is over.well, i just thought a sensible blogger like u would find this post a tad bit sissy :)

11:28 PM  
Blogger S said...

my blog updated..www.reflectionns.blogspot.com

10:06 PM  
Blogger Saanjh said...

@ s
is it u sculptress ??

10:33 PM  
Blogger S said...

yeah..its me...the"Sculptress" ;p

1:12 AM  
Blogger S said...

Sooo how did u like my colourful blog...??

Tell me something...can I put my HTML skills to use and create my kind of blog..that is without using any of the given templates..??

coz I saw a few blogs which were awesomely COOL and totally different..

9:35 PM  
Blogger Aditya Anand said...

Where there is will , there is way.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hi thats really a very nice one .. so next time i'm in bengaluru i get to eat home cooked meals ... thats really great .. now i see a reason to be visiting bengaluru ... hope u dont mind trating me ...

5:06 AM  
Blogger Saanjh said...

@s
of course u can..goto ur blogs template..erase off da stuff nt to ur liking and add in those indigenous lines of code u used to procuse in ITT lab

@aditya
totally agree with ya..da sole inspiration behind da activity giving way to dis post !!

@pradyumna
u r more than welcome..only at ur risk though :)

11:22 AM  
Blogger uatu said...

A post on cookery..or rather the spirit of it..
wish i knew something abt that

11:51 AM  
Blogger Saanjh said...

@uatu

U are more than welcome to visit my kitchen and the chef(yours truly) will try to influence your though process withs regards to cooking ! :)
thanks for stopping by.

4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home