Monday, April 09, 2007

The haze has lifted...

Papa bird is back from Gujju land and brought back loadsa goodies for Mama bird and Baby bird and expectedly Baby bird can`t stop hopping and chirping day-in n day-out (much to the consternation of the inmates of the nest !)

As is my wont, I subject him to a ruthless I-need-my-answers Q/A session.Afterall he had been to 'The B-school-IIMA',and committed the heinous crime of not letting me accompany him,so he`s got to pay the price. I had expected to be really morose after this session,thinking about all the stuff I would miss,about not taking another shot at CAT , not giving Sweta-the risk taker,the perseverer another chance.I was ready to retreat back to my shell and brood over my decision of taking up admission at XIMB this year itself and putting a full-stop to my Mission-IIM plans.
Surprisingly, I felt so much lighter at heart and so much more sure of my decision.

The clincher being this..
Apparently , on the other side of the road infront of IIMA,there are these shanty-like temporary dwelling places inhabited by some people who belong to the lesser privileged section of our society.They cook out in the open, take bath in makeshift cabins which do not allow them the privacy this activity warrants, and in fact defecate in full public view too.All of this bang opposite the entrance to the hallowed portals of this premier institute.Infact the picture dad took of these two extremes on opposite sides of the road is quite like those pics which shake up the national consciousness in its entirety..remember the tsunami pic on the India Today cover ?)

On one side of the road,enclosed in those much-talked about brick architecture buildings, the best brains of the country slog away,adding on to their already bountiful knowledge warehouse;On on the other side there are these children who perhaps have never pored into a book, will never know what going to school and exercising their right to education is all about.They will continue to live their lives as wastrels , squabbling with each other for their food,which their mother cooks in unhygienic conditions,which has dust as a major ingredient.

What has IIMA done for these people ? Its not as if they are not aware of their existence.Or perhaps this harsh reality is much to harsh to deal with for those upcoming I-Bankers who pocket 1 crore plus salaries and jet-set away to their glamorous careers. I have the utmost respect for the faculty as well as the students of this arguably most respected educatioal institute of our country but the lack of social responsibility in this particular case is really saddening and disillusioning.

I would rather much head towards XIMB which is known in the B-school arena for its social work initiatives , and the work it is doing for rural upliftment; not just on paper (myself being a witness of many of such projects).Giving back to the society being a part of the Big Picture for this B-school aspirant , I can safely say that the haze of uncertainty that had clouded my thought process has lifted away ...and for good.

12 Comments:

Blogger Gammafunction said...

A good post!...well inspired by the rain yesterday....I intend to cloud your judgment :-D.....mission IIM does not consist of only IIM-A is it?...what about the other IIM's who are actually doing some work in rural development??

8:08 PM  
Blogger S said...

hello..XIMB zindabaad.. ;)
I was just reading some article in some magazine abt these young achievers..young as in <=35..approx..So,this one guy runs an NGO and quite successfully too..and he said tht in a few years people will start taking up social service as careers..so anyway what say abt being the founders of some hot shot NGO :)

11:07 PM  
Blogger Saanjh said...

@gammafunction
Here i just wanted to pin-point the negligence (in this particular case) of the best of the lot.They must be doing good work in social/rural avenues of whic I am not aware of.This post was to bring this one in-your-face instance of oversight(or complacence,whatever)to the fore.
All the IIMs (BLACKI) will continue to occupy their place of pride on the roster.I am too small a being to make any kinda judgement on these giants !!
Thanks,keep the comments coming :)

3:54 AM  
Blogger Saanjh said...

@s

I actually was thinking along the same lines.But that will be a humongous task.Im not talkng about running it competently/successfully.The challenge lies in changing the common man`s perception towards NGOs-which they consider as paisa-khau-sansthans and the NGO workers-known as the torchbearers of corruption in the guise of doing social work.
N baby what if u ditch me midway spouting bah , mujhe nei karna yeh sab?

3:59 AM  
Blogger S said...

haan woh to ho sakta hai..lol
But I will find a more than suitable replacement and only then will I leave..OK??
don't worry ;)

11:17 AM  
Blogger Aashutosh said...

nice post...dunno who is to b blamed for this but then the scenes u c outside IIMA is just a drop in the vast ocean of poverty and stress the whole country suffers with...gr8 to c u bein moved by their plight...hope u can come up with sumthin gud for the ones in Bhubaneshwar!!! wish u luck.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Saanjh said...

thanks aashutosh!!
keep the comments coming :)

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know about the wretched condition of the dwellers outside the IIM-A campus. I am pretty sure that few students will take up their case someday. They will understand that they are born privileged because they had somebody to support their education, make their life comfortable. What about these kids? Or what about the thousands of children staying in RLAs where every girl is bound to take her mother's place someday not knowing what her life could be if she were educated?

Some questions should remain unanswered otherwise how will one understand her/his essence of life? It is good that you choose a B-school which offers you social responsibilities and if you really want to make a difference then try to follow your own instincts. I believe your instincts will definitely give a new idea to uplift the society.

Should say that I have been away from blogging for a long time. You inspired me to come back. This was a real good blog.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Saanjh said...

@sarvagya

thanks so much for the comments !! Welcome back to blogosphere.Must say that my blog was awaiting ur footprints [:)]

2:06 AM  
Blogger Srikabala said...

A good realisation but again lets hope that u really intend to make a mark for urself in creating social justice . Gud luck for ur B-School journey .

3:20 AM  
Blogger Saanjh said...

@srikanth

thanks.No regrets even if i dont manage to make a mark.Whatever work I do, if I my services can come handy for the underprivileged ,I shall consider myself blessed.
Keep the comments coming :)

5:13 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

louboutins
supreme clothing
vapormax
curry 5 shoes
michael kors outlet
longchamp outlet
nike air force 1 high
cheap air jordans
yeezy boost 350 v2
michael kors outlet

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home