Monday, May 28, 2007

Of Benazir and Feluda

Tried thinking of a wackier title...But let it not lead you into believing that the lady has started reading the Feluda books while in exile.

Happened to watch Arnab Goswami interview her this weekend.What a lady this one !! What poise and what elegance.If there is any Pakistani leader I`ve cared to listen to, its her.It`s such a welcome relief to hear someone who really wants some semblance of peace in the valley , a far cry from the wily backstabber of a Nawaz Sharif.

The sing-song unmistakable Brit twang notwithstanding (I loathe people who flaunt put-on accents), I found myself sitting through the entire telecast of the interview and finding myself very interested in the upcoming General Elections in Pakistan.

This lady feels so passionately about putting an end to the dictatorial regime that her determination to come down to Pakistan and fight the elections,has to be seen to be believed.Much as I wanted to believe that this is just a power hungry woman who is spouting all those never-implemented election manifesto contents.But that waver in her voice when she said that its inevitable that she`ll be arrested the moment she sets foot in Pakistan,but that wont stop her from coming down,caught me.When told that the people of Pakistan are apprehensive to buy her claims that she would fight the elections from Pakistan,and that she is just a 'Pampered princess' who will back out at the last moment,the lady spoke out 'My father brought me up as a pampered princess ,but it is all about the choices one makes in life.I chose prison ,I chose hardships, and I have chosen the hard way out by standing by my convictions and staying in exile away from my country,my family,my kids,my ailing husband.'This lady has lived through the assassination of her father ,the mental torture meted out to her mother ,the incarceration of her husband,the constant death threats to her kids and loved ones and ofcourse herself and now very well knows the consequences of setting foot in Pakistan.There sure must be a higher motivation than just power-acquisition.
We really do need a few more like her,if not many more.

This is one week ive been looking forward to.Have the possession of all the volumes of the Feluda series and cant wait to start off with them.That twinkle is back in my eyes the smell of new books never fails to conjure.
So, guys wish me Happy Reading !! Tadaaa...

3 Comments:

Blogger Deepika said...

feluda!!! LOVELYYYY!!! I can never, ever get tired of the series. Daisy Hazra introduced it to me in the seventh std. Totally indebted to her for that!!

12:47 PM  
Blogger S said...

hi....
Feluda..even I enede up redaing it when my sis got it from the library..He is the Indian Sherlock Holmes..
But , I like Sherlock Holmes the best !!
I think if youcan read and understand Bengali then you should buy bengali version because I think the translated version doesn't make it seem as exceptional as the hue and cry about it is..

12:26 AM  
Blogger S said...

Erratica

*ended
*reading

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home